Re: [Hampshire] X forwarding over ssh not working

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] X forwarding over ssh not working
On 19 June 2010 13:03, Tim Retout <tim@???> wrote:
> On 17 June 2010 16:15, Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???> wrote:
>>
>> Server has "ForwardX11 yes" in /etc/ssh/ssh_config .
>
> I presume also "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config ? The above
> is the client option.

Hm. Must have had a d'oh! moment. But had a look and it seems to be
'yes' by default.

>> Client says ssh -X server
>> gets a conection to the server but if I then say 'xclock' I see nothing.
>> (I also see nothing on the desktop of the server).

update:.. in fact it is running xclock to a new desktop on localhost,
rather than to my client.
e.g. $DISPLAY is localhost:14.0 or similar
(thanks Adrian for the tip to check that. Also xauth is present; I tried saying
victor@Pan:~$ xauth extract - $DISPLAY | ssh victor@qg_backup xauth merge -
[ Pan = client, qg_backup = server]
as per the xauth man page but no difference)

> Often restarting the ssh server in verbose mode and checking the
> server logs can give extra information that can't be sent to the
> client for security reasons.

I set sshd's trace level to DEBUG but am still not seeing anything on
the server logs.

> I can't remember how recent the 'trusted' X11 stuff is - see the
> difference between '-X' and '-Y'. But I don't think that should make a
> difference in this case.

That was my thought too. Haven't had to do anything in that area before.

Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to have to shut down for a couple of
weeks shortly, so won't be able to do any more trials for a while.