Re: [Hampshire] [OT?] This is odd...

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT?] This is odd...

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5678e100.hantslug.org.uk.13803': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jul 5 23:20:06 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:48:37PM +0100, Vic wrote:

> >> Yes - and trying "GET /" or similar gets a 404 response (although I
> >> always
> >> have to hit return twice).
> >
> >    Yup, that's part of the HTTP protocol. The empty line indicates the
> > end of the headers.

> My Apache servers do not behave in that way...

I bet they do. Mine do. It's part of the HTTP RFC: CR/LF at the end
of each line of the header, and a CR/LF at the end of an empty line to
indicate the end of the headers. (Section 5, RFC 2616)

> >> But it's a web-ish server running on port 5555, and claiming to be on
> >> Fedora 6. That's the bit I don't understand...
> >
> >    I'm guessing UPnP in an embedded device of some kind.

> ...Which has now disappeared[1].
>
> Either something very odd is going on with this hardware, or $ISP is lying
> to me about which subscriber is attached to this IP address.

Either one of those is plausible, although the latter is more
likely, IMO.

Hugo.

--- "What's so bad about being drunk?" "You ask a glass of water" ---