Re: [Hampshire] ext4 and dd disc cloning

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ext4 and dd disc cloning
On 08/07/10 22:21, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 22:10:26 +0100, lug@??? said:
>
>> My normal backup routine is to tar up my home directory files daily and
>> then every month or so do a full disc clone using DD
>
> There are better ways...how do you store the tarballs and dd dumps?
>
>> This has worked for years but now fails to copy all files on Fedora 13.
>> Some directories like /sys have permissions ????
>
> /sys (like /proc) isn't a real directory as such; rather, it's a window
> into the kernel (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysfs and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procfs), so there isn't any point in backing
> it up.

I think a disc clone is a very useful and quick to restore option. It is
not just /sys, /home/ is not completing the copy even with the correct
permissions. This has worked for years so I'm confused at what has
changed. MBR and /boot are fine so still pointing at the ext4 LVM partition.

Also tried dd without the bs=32M. Some suggest bs=2M and conv=noerror
but not tried this.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk