Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Letter to investors

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Letter to investors
On 23/07/10 00:30, Damian Brasher wrote:
> Sean Gibbins wrote:
>

>> However, the fact that your product is not unique in the market place
>> doesn't strike me as a reason to give up.
>>
> Thank you for continuing the discussion.
>
> Strike? Can you be more specific?
>
> Two points to make here:
>
> 1) By discussing this I am making sure the business is accountable,
> transparent and open for all future scenarios.
>
> 2) You need to be very specific and provide details and examples before
> responding again.

Vic said: I'm afraid I've fallen at the first hurdle; I've done some
reading on DIASER, but I've yet to understand what it offers me over and
above something like MooseFS and losetup -e...

Damian replied : If that is the case and others agree then I will cease
coding DIASER.

I simply replied to the effect that your product encountering
competition in the marketplace is not necessarily a reason to cease
coding DIASER.

It occurs to me at this point that you are trying to promote a business
on the basis of the code that it is being set up to sell. Whilst the
product should be good (although not always from an investment point of
view - people have made a lot of money from rubbish and cheap copies
after all!), your business also needs to be good to support that product
and be worthy of a significant investment.

I felt that there were shortcomings in the way that you were selling the
business (/not/ the product) to potential investors in your letter, and
simply attempted to highlight them.

Anyway, my comments are coming from a good place, and like all free
advice you should feel free to take it or leave it.

Off to work...

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk