Re: [Hampshire] HP servers and Debian

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: jan, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP servers and Debian

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57386100.hantslug.org.uk.13326': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Aug 16 12:17:09 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:11:29PM +0100, Jan Henkins wrote:
> Hello Chaps,
>
> On 16/08/10 12:04, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> On Mon, August 16, 2010 11:52, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>>> HP DL servers are highly recommended. However I'd avoid the onboard
>>> raid and use linux software raid instead.
>> I'd avoid using Linux software RAID and use the onboard RAID instead. :)
>
> Sorry, this is a tad confusing - why would the onboard RAID be so bad on
> the DL series, but it's still a reccommended platform? The reason I
> would buy a server of any description is to get the hardware RAID thing
> working nicely, coupled with hot-swap drives. I'm all OK with toying
> around with soft RAID at home, but at work I don't need any adventures...

Because a lot of what's sold as "On-board RAID", particularly at
the low end of the market, is nothing of the sort, but is instead
software RAID implemented in the (proprietary) drivers, often with a
small bit of BIOS support to write (proprietary) metadata to the
volumes so that the BIOS can pretend it's proper RAID, too.

If that's the case, then you're *far* better off ditching the
"Onboard RAID" and using Linux's software RAID implementation, which
is rather better tested.

Hugo.

              --- Welcome to Rivendell,  Mr Anderson... ---