Re: [Hampshire] Where to start with Python?

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Where to start with Python?
On 17/09/10 14:36, Andy Random wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No before you ask I haven't turned to the darkside and decided to learn
> Python :)
>
> However a friend of mines son is at uni and is struggling with Python.
>
> He has almost no programming experience to draw on and it's not a
> CompSci course, but there is one unit which requires some Python
> scripting. He's asked for help but apparently his tutor isn't being very
> helpful and just says go read a tutorial online :(
>
> He is a bright kid but doesn't have a computer/coding background so is
> struggling to get started and I can't advise him on Python since I've
> never used it.
>
> So any recommendations for easy intros to Python which assume minimal
> prior knowledge of coding?

The hardest part of Python is knowing how to indent, everything else is
just like learning any programming language. To help with indenting, I
use vim or geany editors. I'm sure Googling for "into to python" will
find what he wants.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SimplePrograms

John.
Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk