Re: [Hampshire] Testing motherboard Re: OT: Using a PC/SPS …

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Testing motherboard Re: OT: Using a PC/SPS Tester

> It is beginning to look like the motherboard itself - but is there any
> sensible way to check it?

There are ways - but you should consider whether or not this constitutes a
wothwhile endeavour...

Diagnosing and fixing a MoBo/CPU issue can take many hours. It's good to
do one occasionally for the intellectual challenge, but it's rarely
cost-effective when second-hand boards can be had so cheaply (and new
boards aren't much, either).

> The problems arise _after_ the BIOS has run;

OK, now is the time for painful levels of accuracy.

*What* problems do you see, and *what* has just completed when you see them?

If it truly is "after the BIOS has run", then you're into the bootloader
territory - and that's usually quite an easy fix.

> and as the machine boots
> up, it seems to be suggesting reflashing the BIOS.

*What* does it say? When?

> But the
> Motherboard manual says to download the file from the ABIT site - and
> this particular motherboard would appear to have fallen off the table.
> :-( It's not that old, but clearly they think I need a legacy file,
> and don't suggest where I might get one.

Which motherboard is it?

Manufacturers often drop support comparatively early (it is a motivator
for you to pay them more cash for a new board), but BIOS downloads can
often be found. Sometimes, they're still on the manufacturer's FTP site,
just not listed...

> Short of simply replacing the motherboard, where do I go next? Or is
> that where I ought to go next? :-(

If you were doing this as a commercial enterprise, you would probably just
change the board. If you're doing it because you want to fix it, now is
the time to make firm distinctions betwwen what you *know* and what you
*suspect* :-)

> I have a strong reluctance to throw things out if they can possibly be
> repaired. My excuse is a childhood spent in war-time London and an
> impoverished African country, and I'm sticking to it.

It's a good plan, as long as you're not paying for your time. Fixing
motherboard problems - or at least working around failures - is often
possible, but rarely commercially viable.

Vic.