[Hampshire] Keyboard problem was:Re: Testing motherboard

Author: Lisi Reisz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Keyboard problem was:Re: Testing motherboard
On 29 September 2010 17:28, Vic <lug@???> wrote:

>> It is beginning to look like the motherboard itself - but is there any
>> sensible way to check it?

> *What* problems do you see, and *what* has just completed when you see them?

This morning I just started the box for the first time since I was
poking around inside it to test the PSU, and everything now works -
except the keyboard. But that is now working up to the point where
the OS boots up the DE.

The only explanation for this that I have been able to think of, is
that one of the two electrical connections to the mobo that I tested
had worked a little loose and the fault was therefore corrected when I
reconnected them.

So, thank you very much for all your help. I shall hang on to the
BIOS flash files in case I need them in the future. I still don't
know where the message "Alt+F2 to enter AWDFLASH" came from, but that
will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries.

I have further narrowed it down to being a fault in my personal
configuration files. I just don't know what where. (And that took a
lot longer to do than to write about it!)

So I'm glad that I didn't go straight to getting a new or new-to-me
mobo, since the fault will follow me around until I find it. The odd
thing is that it happened while I was using the keyboard - but perhaps
the fault was caused by the electrical fault's corrupting the relevant
file?

Once I have found which file is corrupted, I shall presumably be able
just to delete it and restore it from Backup.

What was that you said, about this taking me a long time, Vic?! ;-)

So thank you both very much, Vic and Robin.

Lisi