Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Budgetone SIP phones
** Jan Henkins <jan@???> [2010-10-12 14:42]:
> On Tue, October 12, 2010 14:01, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > I've just got one in preparation for a new Asterisk server setup, but for
> > some
> > reason my testing is not going well. To make sure it works OK I've got it
> > connected directly to my SIP provider for now, but when I try to navigate
> > phone
> > menu systems (that's the press 1 for... ones, not the ones on the actual
> > phone
> > - it's an nightmare to differentiate that on Google!) my button presses
> > are
> > being ignored - which is a major pain when calling a support number that
> > won't
> > take you any further until you've chosen and option, or when you're trying
> > access your voicemail!!!
>
> I had similar hassles, until I figured out how to update the phone's
> firmware to the latest. Also, I used the phone's web-based configuration
> page instead of the cryptic button pressing nightmare, and I managed to
> get the phone working with Asterisk as well as SER (Sip Express Router).
> Tip regarding this phone: Try and use the iLBC codec if at all possible,
> it is excellent, whilst still using very little bandwidth.

** end quote [Jan Henkins]

I've not tried the button pressing options, I went straight for the web
interface having added the MAC addresses to my Bind and DHCP configurations to
get 'static' addressing :)

Firmware upgrade I'm working on at the moment. It doesn't seem to want to play
ball with my tftp-hpa server, although I've not worked out which end the
problem is yet! The firmware is pretty old (Program-- 1.1.6.27    Bootloader--
1.1.6.5). I'll have a play with the codecs too. I don't think iLBC is supported
by my provider, but I could change that once I get an Asterisk box up and
running - just need a little spare time to build and configure a new server!!