Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Pro…

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Programs
On 23/10/10 09:21, Peter Collins wrote:

> I have been looking at the "Linux Professional Institute Certification"
> program or maybe Ubuntu program - again I would be interested in
> people's thoughts on either?

Hi Peter, I've just passed LPI-1 level (Junior) and will do LPIC-2
(Senior) soon. These qualifications are a good way to check your Linux
knowledge and will help on your CV (I'm doing them as a refresher). You
can do this by self study and each exam costs £120, taken at a local
Prometric centre. There are two exams for each level. You will still
need experience or proof of practical ability. As I already had plenty
of Unix and Linux experience, I took the RHCE which is a 5.5 hour ALL
practical exam. Not all recruiters are familiar with RHCE and you may
still come across some who don't realise it is a good proof of ability.
RHCE is compared to LPIC-2 level knowledge.

I would suggest doing the LPIC exams and you may find a junior level job
to gain experience. Virtualbox is free and a good way to practice
installation and configuration from one PC. When confident, the RHCE
fast track 5 day course is well worth doing. 4 days lab with 1 day exam.
It will cost around £2000 though. If you search for Linux at jobsite,
jobserve, IT job board and CW jobs you will see what experience is
required. Generally they list a ridiculous amount of requirements, so
don't expect to have them all!

Linux is used in most companies and schools now, but they don't always
advertise it. Android will increase not only Linux usage, but more
important, its acceptance and therefore the number of jobs will
increase. I'm still not sure whether this recession will help Linux
usage or not. Hopefully it will.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk