Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Pr…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Programs

> (A personal opinion: the best way to improve one's English is to read lots
> of good English).

The converse is also true: the best way to destroy one's English is to
read lots of rubbish.

I tend to frequent web fora where the standard of literacy is somewhat
lacking. After sufficient exposure, I find myself *expecting* the usual
homonym mistakes (they're/their/there, it's/its)...

> Lest you think otherwise, I have no objection to non-native English
> speakers (my wife is both a non-native English speaker and deaf, yet her
> English, both spoken and written, is exemplary). I also have no problem
> "giving people a chance" (plenty have given me chances in the past).
> However, the chances are given with respect to Linux experience, not
> literacy.

My take on this subject is very simple: working in IT frequently requires
precision of both thought and action. If someone is unable or unwilling to
demonstrate such precision - particularly in a job application or
interview - there's a strong chance that person will be similarly lacking
when it comes to doing his job. That doesn't bode well in our trade...

> Maybe I come across as a grumpy old man that no one in their right mind
> would want to work for...

When I was working for a large electronics company some years ago, I ended
up interviewing many candidates - a large proportion of whom were recent
graduates. I actually had a recruitment reptile ring up to complain that
my interviews were too harsh :-)

Vic.