Re: [Hampshire] Netgear readynas duo, nfs4 and iSCSI target

Author: John Cooper
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netgear readynas duo, nfs4 and iSCSI target
On 27/10/10 22:22, Adam John Trickett wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 Oct 2010 06:37:29 John Cooper wrote:
>>    My icybox died recently and I've just replaced it with a Netgear
>> readynas duo 2110 1GB disc* . It runs Debian Sarge. I am really pleased
>> with it. Very easy to configure through the web interface, but it also
>> has a Linux application on the CD.

> I'm guessing that you mean a 1 TB disk not a 1GB disk....!

Yes, 1TB. I've just got SNMP running :-

$ snmpget -v 2c -c public backupserver READYNAS-MIB::diskModel.1
READYNAS-MIB::diskModel.1 = STRING: " Seagate ST31000528AS 931 GB"

> What do you think of it? It looks like a good buy.

It does everything you would want from a NAS, plus all the extras you
want to configure in Linux. Adding a second drive automatically sets up
RAID1. It is better and more powerful than my Icybox for a similar
price. For £180 with a 1TB disc, I can't see anything beating it.

>> I tried to change the NFS mount from v3 to v4 but it would not mount,
>> "operation not permitted".
>>
>> sudo mount -t nfs4 -o rw,hard,intr,bg backupserver:/ /archive
>>
>> After adding the SSH addon (see below) and logging on, I had to add
>> "fsid=0" to /etc/exports
>>

> I don't think NFSv3 is that common so I'm not surprised it isn't supported out
> of the box.

Did you mean v4 ;-) . I'm surprised they didn't turn off v4 support if
the GUI can't support it, but saying that, anyone using it would
probably know how to configure it anyway!

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk