Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point
On 07/11/10 14:26, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> One point of caution. If you son is able to attach a Wireless AP,
> other students will also be able to, and thus the wireless might
> become very congested and cause problems that way.

Well, Sam will be effectively creating his own wireless network to
communicate between his latop and the the ethernet port, and as such
will be able to limit who else can connect to his WAP and from there on
to his ethernet port. AFAIK there is no wireless network as such within
the halls of residence and each student has to connect via the wired
network. I can see that if everybody did this in close proximity there
could be problems with getting a decent connection in terms of available
channels not receiving interference from other WAPs, but otherwise there
shouldn't be a problem, surely?

Famous last words, eh?

;-)

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk