Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point
On 07/11/10 14:38, Robin Wilson wrote:
>> Famous last words, eh?
> I would suggest that he very carefully examines his university's IT policy. I know that the University of Southampton policy expressly forbids connecting hubs or wireless access points to ethernet sockets in halls of residence. A friend of mine at Southampton had his computing access revoked for the rest of the semester for breaking this policy. Obviously other universities may be more lenient than ISS at Southampton are.

Hi Robin,

Wandering around the village with the dog it occurred to me that this is
likely to be the case.

Naively I assume everyone is like my son and therefore highly unlikely
to do 'bad stuff' via their connection.

I also assume that everyone who would want to use a WAP would go to
reasonable lengths to secure it to prevent other people doing similarly
bad stuff via their connection.

Obviously that is not very realistic of me and allowing people to use
WAPs would presumably expose the university, in that with an unsecured
WAP a student downloading films or music would have some level plausible
deniability, while a student who is restricted to only one connection to
the outside world is accountable for that connection.

Guess he'll have to get used to the idea of sitting at his desk to use
his laptop, eh?

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk