Re: [Hampshire] Notebook remix Linux distro

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Notebook remix Linux distro
On Sunday 07 November 2010 08:43:06 john lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:11:23 +0000
>
> Clive Woodfine <clivewoodfine@???> wrote:
> > I think it is deb based but it has it's own package unique manager
> > with limited software. You can try it by booting it off a memory
> > stick/card first to see how you like or hate it.
>
> Nobody has mentioned that Debian support the Asus Eeepc with a
> customised version, see this page.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
>
> I replaced the 'newbie friendly' linux that came on my Asus 900 with
> DebianEeePC within ten minutes of getting it home. It has the
> default gnome interface and I'd not change it for any other distro.
>
> Like someone else said I too got it to carry around to pick up wifi
> connections in pubs and the like, the wifi just worked 'outta da box'.
>
> I also use as a portable geneweb server for when I go to genealogical
> meetings instead of the much heavier Sony Vario I used to use.

I have Debian installed on my Acer Aspire One, and it is great! Because I
insist on Lenny and KDE 3 for as long as I can (and by the time that I can't
I hope that Trinity will be up to speed) I had to install a couple of
backports (a newer kernel and a newer wicd). But otherwise just out of the
box. The day I actually wiped Linspire off the disk was delighful. I used
to wonder how any Linux distro could be that bad. Now I know!

Lisi