Re: [Hampshire] Something to Download and Enjoy

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Something to Download and Enjoy

On Thu, November 11, 2010 17:38, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
[snip]

> partially libre Android-based HTC Magic phone. I now need to find a
> completely libre phone akin to the openmoko but with 3g capability
> (I've not checked openmoko's progress recently so they may already
> have the option).

Don't go there, please believe me. It has nothing to do with the phone,
it's excellent (I have one). However, Openmoko is not supporting the
Freerunner like I think they should (if you are outside your 1 year
warranty, try and get them to fix your phone, even for a fee! :-) It's a
common theme all over the net. As nice as the Freerunner is, it's not
worth buying it. A real shame.

One of the Linux distros that runs on the Freerunner is SHR (Stable Hybrid
Release), and it is known to run on the Nokia N900 as well. This could be
a possible route to what you would like to do.

> Yeah, I worship at the altar of Saint Stallman.

Good luck with that too! :-) When you come outside for a bit of fresh air,
please look out for me, I'm in the bazaar.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins