Re: [Hampshire] Due Diligence of Service Providers

Author: Jan Henkins
To: jacqui.caren, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Due Diligence of Service Providers
Hello Jacqui amd Imran,

On Tue, November 16, 2010 14:52, Jacqui Caren-home wrote:
> Imran Chaudhry wrote:
>> As with anything, there are caveats and SaaS isn't appropriate for all
>> scenario's - but for a business of a certain type and size then I
>> think it makes a whole load of sense.

I'm not disputing this, and you make a great point.

> For a number of businesses IT is not business critical, so reducing the
> admin and hardware spend can make a lot of sense.
>
> As a dev business working with customers that tend to have business
> critical IT
> requirements I would be wary of cloud sourcing unless the risks were clear
> and understood.

This is exactly the point. While I cannot boast to be the sharpest tool in
the shed when it comes to "Cloudware" and {S|P|I}aaS, I hear the way IT
managers talk about it, and how it is the answer to all their problems.
:-) The same people (with an alarmingly very few exceptions) cannot tell a
wrench from a broomstick. The point I was trying to make is to please
please please plan properly! You can rebuild machines, set up new
contracts, make new virtual pipes to off-site storage as much as you like,
but unless you have your contingencies in place, you will lose data, which
is b****y difficult to replace (if at all).

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins