[Hampshire] Gnome Panel / TaskBar / IconBar removed by accid…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Gnome Panel / TaskBar / IconBar removed by accident
Hi all

Probably an easy fix but something of a tricky problem to explain so please
bear with me.

I seem to have accidentally removed my taskbar - and can't reinstate it as
it was. I'm running Gnome (on a lucid 64-bit kernel with 4Gb if that's any
use) and the horizontal stripe at the bottom of the screen which gets
populated with tiles showing which apps I have open once I've opened them -
is now missing. I've seen said stripe called a taskbar (Windows), a dock
(MacOS), an IconBar (RISC OS) and a panel I believe is the correct gnome
nomenclature. Trouble is, I tried to setup a new panel (which worked) but
now my apps aren't putting themselves into this panel, nor is there the
minimise all windows icon that was there.

Needless to say if I login as another user, everything's correct. But
(even if I knew which file to copy) I wouldn't want to revert back to
defaults.

Can anyone help me reinstate my lower panel?

Sorry for any confusing naming (lack of) convention here. I thought I'd
use as many as possible so as many of you know what I'm on about!

Cheers

Rob