Re: [Hampshire] Gnome Panel / TaskBar / IconBar removed by a…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome Panel / TaskBar / IconBar removed by accident

From: hampshire-bounces@???
[mailto:hampshire-bounces@mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Peter Collins
Sent: 20 November 2010 18:48
To: hampshire@???

On 20/11/10 17:31, Rob Malpass wrote:

From: hampshire-bounces@???
[mailto:hampshire-bounces@mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Sean Gibbins
Sent: 20 November 2010 17:18
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List

On 20/11/10 16:58, Rob Malpass wrote:

You can right-click on that new panel and 'Add to panel' to add in various
applets, including the 'Show desktop' applet, etc.

Thanks Sean but is there a way, for instance, to get my minimised
applications to attach themselves to this panel when I minimise them?
Point well made about attaching whatever I want (effectively making this
panel the equivalent of the Quick launch toolbar in Windows) but what I
really want is what I'm used to. I'm loathe to reinstall gnome or
something just to sort it.

Ah, sorry Rob, I sort of assumed that they would drop down on to the new
panel.

The panel that lives at the bottom of my desktop essentially looks like a
new panel that has a workspace switcher, a rubbish bin and a show desktop
device. I take it if you create something similar the apps don't drop down
onto this when you minimise them?

Sean

Yes - I'm afraid so. The _really_ irritating thing about this is that I
had moved the bottom panel's position to the right such that I could adjust
the resolution. In order to reveal the "OK" button to change to 1024x768 I
shifted the panel and OK'd the nvidia-settings window to close it. Then
somehow I managed to switch the panel off in trying to shift it back!

If anyone can work out what I should google for I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

If you select "Window List" from the "Add to Panel" list, I thnk it will
give you what you want - although this might be a nice time to at "Docky"

Rgds

Peter.

Thanks a million for this - indeed I am back to "normal" (a matter of
opinion) but in doing exactly what you said, I now have windows appearing as
before. For some reason they're not attaching from left to right but
that's fine with me.

Thanks again folks

Rob