Re: [Hampshire] Wot - no /tmp?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wot - no /tmp?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c7d100.hantslug.org.uk.14893': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 21 19:57:28 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 04:14:34PM -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Never come across this before - a clean install did not create a /tmp
> directory. Should I worry?

Well, it does sound like there's a bug in the installer. However:

# mkdir /tmp
# chmod a+rwxt /tmp

:)

> When I tried to start x (with startx) I got permission denied - because /tmp
> didn't exist (infact it links to /var/tmp on mepis - not sure why).

Seems a little odd to me.

> I'm no expert (to say the least!) on the way the system fits together at
> that sort of low level (i.e. outside X) but I'd assume the kernel has to
> write files somewhere all the time does it not?

The kernel never writes files at all. :)

Well, not without being asked to by a userspace application,
anyway. However, any number of important userspace apps _do_ write to
bits of /tmp at various points in their lives. X is probably the most
important one, as it writes lock files and pipes to /tmp. Various of
the desktop environment libraries also use /tmp, if what I see in mine
is anything to go by.

> I've obviously created /var/tmp and the link from /tmp works. However I'm
> now wondering if other aspects of the install are likely to have failed
> because /tmp wasn't present.

That's entirely plausible, I'd say. The disk didn't fill up during
the install at any point, did it?

Hugo.

           --- I believe that it's closely correlated with ---
                       the aeroswine coefficient.