Re: [Hampshire] Lego Mindstorms NXT

Author: Jan Henkins
To: rogermunford, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lego Mindstorms NXT
Hello Roger,

On Wed, November 24, 2010 10:19, Roger Munford wrote:
> We are thinking of buying this for a 14 and 12 year old for Christmas
> with the hope of stimulating creativity.
>
> Does anybody have any experience, especially if there is an open source
> angle.

I do not have direct experience with the Mindstorm, but from what I have
seen in demos by friends and product sales, it's great what can be
accomplished with it. Still, there does not seem to be an official open
source angle. The closest I could get in a quick search is libnxt, hosted
over at Google Code (link below). The last release was made in 2007, so I
am not at all sure how it will behave on a modern Linux distribution.

If it is robotics you want to persue, I would suggest that you do a bit
more research. I remember seeing a number of interesting bits and bobs
related to Arduino being used in hobby robotics, some patient Googling
will no doubt reveal these. Going the Arduino route will no doubt be a lot
more difficult to start off with, but I can imagine that it will be lot
more rewarding in the end.

libnxt site:
http://code.google.com/p/libnxt/

Good luck!