Re: [Hampshire] Linking multiple DSL lines

Author: paul
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linking multiple DSL lines
Hi,

On Thu 25/11/10 12:17 AM , James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton@??? sent:
> Hi,
>
> I have a friend who lives in the middle of know where and the highest
> ADSL download they can get is 256Kbps.
> So, if they put 8 of these together they could get 2Mbps.
> Now, the problem is finding an ISP that will do this aggregation well.
> He will want to be able to download a file over a single TCP session
> at greater than 256Kbps speeds.
> I expect this will need something like MLPPP (Multilink PPP) so that a
> single packet gets broken across multiple links, and this spread the
> bandwidth.
>
> Which ISPs do people recommend?

My old ISP (IDNet.net) offer bonding. It's not on their website but if you call
they will do it for you. I will warn you that it is very expensive. You have to
buy business ADSL lines (£80 a month each)plus pay a bonding fee. We were looking
at bonding 8 lines and it was going to be approaching £700 a month. They are the
best ISP I've ever been with but I wouldn't pay prices like that. It would
probably be a lot cheaper if you rented a VPS from someone like Bitfolk and did
the bonding yourself with an old PC as you could use cheaper domestic ADSL lines.
You could get 2 lines on a budget if you got Sky and Talk Talk (spit!).

Have you considered satellite broadband? I think you should be able to get 4meg
2-way satellite broadband for under £100 a month. The latency will be higher than
ADSL but I think the price will be more attractive.

Cheers,
Paul.