Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Server and Wordpress

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Server and Wordpress
On 01/12/10 17:54, Benjie Gillam wrote:
> Personally, I'd install it straight from Wordpress. I see no advantage
> to installing it from the Ubuntu repository, and when you later update
> your Ubuntu to the next LTS I would guess that it's likely to corrupt
> your Wordpress install with a different version to what you're running,
> or leave around security vulnerabilities that Wordpress' own updater
> would have deleted.
>
> Keep in mind that you need to update Wordpress very often as there's new
> security holes found in it very frequently :(
>
> Installing�Wordpress�is pretty easy - just follow these
> instructions:�http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install

I'd agree with that. Installing WordPress the Debian/Ubuntu way results
in configuration files scattered around in the 'standard' places such as
/etc and /usr/share. That makes it difficult to then move the site to
another computer or upload it to a hosting service.

Do it the non-repo way.

cheers

Chris
--