[Hampshire] Xubuntu tight VNC problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Xubuntu tight VNC problem

I have installed tightvnc on to a fresh install on xubuntu 10.10. I started the
vncserver with the follwing command

vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 :1

It asked me to set a password to access the desktop which I did but when I try
to access the PC via VNC over the local lan I get Connection failed on the
linux PC and "There is no server at that address from a windows PC. On the
windows PC I am using the tightvnc client which I know works as I use it to
make a vnc connection to another PC running VNC server. If I enter the vnc
start command again it tells me that the server is already running.

Any advice?