Re: [Hampshire] Restricted accounts for jukeboxes

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Restricted accounts for jukeboxes
On 22/12/10 11:16, Leo wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has ever set up a restricted account on Linux
> that basically only allows the user to run audio playing software? I'd
> originally thought of using a live distro, but I think most of those
> give root access too easily. The only other way of doing it I've seen is
> to use a custom Xsession.
>
> Can anyone offer any experience/advice on this?

I've set up a kiosk computer in the past, running a standard distro
(Xubuntu), and using, as you suggested, a customised X-launching
process. In fact I tweaked it to log in automatically as a standard
user whose .xinitrc file just runs Firefox in a loop, so that if Firefox
quits, it just runs again:

  #!/bin/bash
  xsetroot -solid white &
  xscreensaver -no-splash &
  while true
  do
          firefox
  done

I had to adjust Firefox to get rid of most of the menus, but that part
would probably be easier with just a music player.

There are other tweaks that you can apply to stop users pressing
Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. I can look up the details if you want.

In fact my MythTV frontend does the same thing, just running
mythfrontend directly instead of via a desktop manager.

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???