[Hampshire] Mapping software

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Mapping software
Hi all - happy new year

I need a recommendation for some mapping software. If - having read the
following you conclude there's a website - that's fine - but I've not been
able to make Google maps do exactly what I want.

For reasons I won't bore you all with, what I want to do is start with a
(physical) map of an area and gradually superimpose points and layers of
infrastructure. For example:

1) Pick a city like Manchester.

2) Find the town with best links for public transport. Problem 1 - most
bus / train maps I've seen are highly stylised. For example the London
tube map is more a diagram than an actual representation of how far from
Covent Garden to Picadilly Circus. I want something that shows these
lines.

3) Add on schools (I know Google maps does this)

4) Add NHS trusts - not just hospitals (I know Google maps can do this).
If I could find postcodes of all - is there an app / website / software to
overlay them?

5) Add Local Authority boundaries so I can tell whether my bins will be
emptied

6) and any other layer you can think of! ... broadband speed, dab coverage,
cable tv availability.

A few years back, I used some closed source mapping software called Mapinfo
for Windows that got close to what I want (but my daughter was born half way
through the course so I missed the 2nd half!!). I've seen loads of
websites which collect links of open source GIS stuff but a recommendation
would be great. Websites or applications please - no mobile apps - this
sort of project doesn't lend itself to that - besides I don't have a 3g
phone.

Cheers

Rob