Re: [Hampshire] Cable coverage

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cable coverage
What I would do, I think, is have a map (e.g. google map), click on a
location and say "is their cable here?". It would then find the nearest
postcode to that lat/lng and query VirginMedia.com to see if cable is in
that area. I did this manually when I was house hunting recently, looked up
in the region of 100 post codes (manually) and didn't have any issues; but I
wouldn't be happy just querying the entire postcode DB against VM. If the
response is negative you might want to auto query a few points around where
you click - e.g. a half mile away in a number of directions - to see if this
is just one street that doesn't have cable.

I found that a lot of SO16 seems to have cable, but didn't find any cable in
SO17 or SO18.

Replace POSTCODE_HERE below with the postcode (don't forget the space)

curl -s -d "standaloneChecker=true&PostcodeCheckerURL=
allyours.virginmedia.com&postcode=POSTCODE_HERE" "
http://shop.virginmedia.com/check-your-postcode/" | grep "Virgin National
broadband area" > /dev/null
SUCCESS=$?
if [ "$SUCCESS" == "0" ]; then