[Hampshire] Connection refused even though Sendmail is runni…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Connection refused even though Sendmail is running
Hi,

I have a pretty clean (*) install of Centos on a server in my home network
at the mo. It is destined to go out to NewNet eventually but that's another
story.

It needs to be able to receive and process emails - a user account on this
machine has some procmail scripts that will handle this.

Sendmail is in the init.d startup sequence, and is running and listening on
port 25.

[root@phoenix qg]# /usr/sbin/lsof -i :25
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
sendmail 3492 root    4u  IPv4  11969       TCP phoenix:smtp (LISTEN)
[root@phoenix qg]#

And responds locally:

[qg@phoenix 10:52 ~]$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Wed, 19 Jan 2011
10:53:10 GMT
ehlo localhost
250-localhost.localdomain Hello phoenix [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you

But if I try to chat to port 25 from a neighbouring machine I get refused:

victor@ss07:~$ telnet phoenix 25
Trying 192.168.11.199...

I haven't done anything explicit to do with firewalling on the phoenix
server.
I can see other services the server is running such as ssh and http from the
neighbouring machines. Just not the SMTP port.

Any comments on what I should be looking for?

(*) - well, I did have to put Oracle on it...

thanks,
victor