[Hampshire] [OT] Surge protectors / UPS

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Surge protectors / UPS
Hi all

Need a bit of advice re surge protectors. Does anyone know of a truly good
one?

What I've seen in local high st shops are power bricks which have 2 lights -
one for on/off and the surge protector located usually right next door to
it. 2 problems:

1) unless I look under the desk - I don't see if the surge protection light
is off

2) if located right next to the power - it's quite usual (with my eyes) for
it not to be at all clear whether any of the on-off LED's light is in fact
illuminating the casing for the surge protected light and "fooling" me into
thinking everything's well.

Most of these are (it's been 20+ years since my electronics GCSE!) simple
smoothing capacitors which, once burnt out by a surge are the same as any
other power brick i.e. one surge and it's useless.

So this got me thinking.... UPS devices do the opposite - they give you a
bit of life after a power outage and I have heard some act as surge
protectors too - but are there any out there that meet these requirements?

Cheers

Rob