Re: [Hampshire] Number (plate) recognition

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Number (plate) recognition
Hello Chris,

On Tue, February 8, 2011 20:33, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> This is a bit of a long shot -- Googling hasn't helped.
>
> Does anyone know of Linux-based / open-source software that could
> automatically read the number from a runner's vest, such as the ones on
> this page:
>
>    http://www.edstaggphotography.com/thumbnails.php?album=291&page=2

> I've briefly toyed with tesseract and gocr, but they (not surprisingly)
> try to interpret the whole image as text, and generate a mess of
> punctuation.

Yes, as you say gocr and tesseract were meant for text. What you want to
do is a lot more intricate. The only project I can think of that would
come even a little bit close to what you would like to do, is the OpenCV
[1] (like Open Computer Vision) project. Nat Friedman and Alex Graveley
from the Hacker Medley podcast [2] had an interview with the project
leader in the 5th ep of their cast. There are some interesting links in
their shownotes, not the least being to an O'Reilly book on OpenCV.

Links:

[1] OpenCV home - http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/
[2] Hacker Medley - http://hackermedley.org/

--