Re: [Hampshire] Home NAS with Raid?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home NAS with Raid?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5845b100.hantslug.org.uk.9930': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Feb 15 14:10:12 2011 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 08:56:44AM -0500, Andy Random wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo RND2120 units?
>
> http://goo.gl/YjtbT
>
> Seems like it is a reasonable 2TB raided NAS at a decent price, but
> maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Any similar alternatives people are using and happy with?
>
> And yes I know it is easy to set up my own using a Linux PC and a
> couple of 2TB drives with software raid, but I don't have a machine
> which will take 2x3.5" SATA drives at home and don't have anything
> running 24x7 at the moment, so I'd have to buy both the drives and a
> new machine, which is likely to cost more than the NAS does.

Not what you asked for, I know, but I have a couple of multi-disk
eSATA external cases [1, 2] for drive storage, but then I do have
something running 24x7 that they're plugged into. These aren't RAID
controllers -- just SATA port multipliers that allow you to attach 4
or 5 drives to a single eSATA port. There are similar 2-bay enclosures
out there, too (Edge10 do one, I believe, but Edge10 storage hardware
seems a bit thin on the ground right now).

I have a 6-volume btrfs filesystem(*) spanning the Edge10 and one
of the StarTech bays, and a two-drive linear LVM set-up on the other
two disks in the StarTech. Plus one spare bay.

Hugo.

[1] http://www.dabs.com/products/edge10-edgestore-das501t-enclosure-5-bay-sata-5FYG.html?refs=4294948489-4294948482
[2] http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-multi-bay-hdd-enclosure-6LBN.html?refs=4294948489-4294948482

(*) Currently awaiting the completion of a functional btrfsck :(

   --- The enemy have elected for Death by Powerpoint. That's what ---
                         they shall get.  -- gdb