Re: [Hampshire] social networking software

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] social networking software
On 26/02/11 09:28, Edward Beckmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just wondered if anyone has hands-on experience of social networking
> software as there seem to be plenty of options. A friend wants to set up
> a site for their niche sport, which wants community stuff and of course
> recommended venues to visit and rate etc. It would not be a paying
> membership so that makes it simpler, but I only have experience of
> moodle and wordpress, which would obviously be a real bodge to force
> into that kind of role.

I suggest searching for similar sites and see what software they are
using. Look for well supported ones which are still being maintained.

I found a list here

http://tutorialblog.org/social-networking-software-how-to-build-your-own-social-network/

I've installed mahara for a University and well written software.

You may find a CMS or even forum may be enough. Joomla and Drupal are
popular CMS ones, phpbb3 for forums. They all have plugins/add ons for
multi-purpose. There is also Wordpress Mingle social network plugin.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk