Re: [Hampshire] Dual boot Raid 1

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dual boot Raid 1

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56eb7100.hantslug.org.uk.31101': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 4 20:01:46 2011 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:07:33PM +0000, bryan hunt wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 16:59 +0000, Mike Austin wrote:
> > I am about to embark setting up RAID 1 (mirroring) with two identical 1TB
> > drives on my newly upgraded desktop. Although it is a bit more fiddly using
> > Linux, it would not normally be a problem.
> >
> > However, I run a dual boot desktop with XP. I cannot see that I can do so
> > having both Ubuntu and XP on the same master 1TB drive.

[...]

> Is it hardware RAID, surely it is transparent to the OS?

Hahahaha. Pretty much every "hardware RAID-1" you'll find on a
motherboard is just software RAID, implemented in proprietary drivers.
If you're lucky, the BIOS will write some additional metadata to the
disks to indicate the RAID configuration, and you can use the dmraid
module in Linux to set up the same configuration.

> If it were software RAID is it possible to boot from such a system?
> Does /boot not have to be a file-system which can be read by GRUB?

If you install the GRUB boot-loader on both MBRs, the BIOS will
start the boot process regardless of which disk it uses (i.e. it will
cope with a full-disk failure). After that, it's a matter of what
support GRUB's second-stage loader has for parsing/understanding the
RAID configuration. GRUB-2 will cope with RAID and LVM volumes and can
load the kernel and initrd from most Linux filesystems, and several
non-Linux filesystems, after which the system can boot as normal.

Hugo.

                 --- My karma has run over my dogma. ---