Re: [Hampshire] obfuscated code

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] obfuscated code
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:40:49 -0000 (GMT)
"Tony Whitmore" <tony@???> wrote:

> > I also tried Hugo's sed suggestion and got another error
> >
> > sed: couldn't open file script.sed: No such file or directory
>
> You need to save the set of filters that Hugo provided to a file
> called "script.sed" which is then applied to the input file.

show how little I know, I hadn't realised that list of 'characters'
was intended to be saved as script.sed but thought it was output
from the sed line ;-(

However having created a script.sed and re-running the sed command I
get:

sed: file script.sed line 1: unknown command: `-'

but line one is "s/&#32;/ /g" and there is no "`-'" in that.

I saved the output from Andy's perl and it loads in a browser and looks
just like the original (with obfuscated email addresses) except the
email addresses can now be copied.

So having added a new name to the page I now need to be able to reverse
what the first bit of perl code did and re-do the obfuscation to
preserve the anonymity of people listed.

Making additions this way is going to be tedious if I get many requests
and I'm not keen on editing the raw code for html tables because of the
potential for getting it wrong.

This is one reason why I think the original author used a gui tool. I
once tried using such a tool (no idea what, but it must have been a
linux one) and couldn't get on with it so went back to using vim.

I'm not keen on using tables in the first place if there is another way
of formatting the data so will have to dig out my copy of 'Web Design
in a Nutshell' and see if there is another way of doing it.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid