Re: [Hampshire] Packaging with setup.py...

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Packaging with setup.py...

In case anyone was following this thread...

> The build directory is build/bdist.linux-x86_64, and my .py files are sat
> in build/bdist.linux-x86_64/rpm/BUILD/GES-1.0/GES/ ***and*** in
> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/rpm/BUILD/GES-1.0/build/lib/GES/ .
> INSTALLED_FILES says they are installed into
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/GES/ , and rpmbuild complains about them
> being installed into /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ (Note: trailing
> "GES" omitted).

I got to the bottom of this. setup.py does not clean up after itself
unless you explicitly tell it to ("setup.py clean"). The duplicate files
were from a previous (unsuccessful) attempt to package...

I consider this to be a problem; an explicit call to build a binary
distribution should lead to a deterministic state. It shouldn't be
affected by whether or not a target is empty.

> So I'm pretty much at the mercy of Python's distutils (which I don't
> understand).

I've now given up on distutils. Inno Setup is a very easy way to make
Windows installers, and hand-building a .spec file is very much easier
than fighting the lack of specificity in the distutils documentation. I
simply can't afford to use the python tools...

Vic.