Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run …

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire@mailman lug org uk
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Suggestion for low-power file server to run at home
-----Original message-----
From:    Tim Brocklehurst
Sent:    Sat 12-03-2011 22:32

> For really low power, how about one of these:
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/arm-matrix.php
>
> I got a TS-7550 in January and from the little I've played with it so far it's
> a lovely piece of kit. They all run Debian as standard, so you can mix
> services to your preference.
>
> Tim B.

Obviously it depends on your needs. For a reference build I'm using a Gigabyte GA-D425TUD Intel Atom D425 CPU - I'll create a RAID as soon as a second 2.5 hdd arrives. The unit runs Zentyal and has more than enough power to safely run a group-ware application along with a set of other business tools, including file storage and a 2 nic gateway with IDS. There are more than one user and the capital investment is for 4-5 years. Novatech guarantee RAM for 5 years now. I have always trusted Gigabyte - they us some high quality Japanese components, the Japanese are a stoic people.

The board costs around £65 which is great value - I'm still digesting all the board features. The fan is quiet enough, but I added two more to the 60W case. I'm really chuffed with it. Intel also sell a nice, slightly cheaper board - the D410PT.

Damian

Interlinux Ltd - Zentyal - Exec-lite - DIASER
http://www.interlinux.co.uk