[Hampshire] ownership of files in /var/www

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] ownership of files in /var/www
I am having to re-create my Startx website as it had been compromised
recently.

I have copied the website files from my local system to the remote
system but am not sure what the ownership settings should be.

The current settings are owner = remote user and group = www-data

But I am getting an error when trying to access
http://startx.co.uk/KingsclereHistory

"The requested URL /KingsclereHistory/title_fr.html was not found on
this server."

the file is located correctly in /var/www/KingclereHistory

I can't think straight any more so am looking for a clue, TIA

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid