Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.
One can use blogs for posting rubbish. This is a mailing list.

So back to the simple description... I think it depends on what you are trying
to sell to whom. If you're looking for a solid web/email/database system, you
are going to have a pretty easy life. If clients want calendering (ie,
exchange style) that's a bit harder, and if they want sharepoint, then you're
not going to get very far.

However, for a small office it does represent a potentially significant cost
saving up front (which allows you to buy better hardware for the same budget).
It also provides huge amounts of documentation, and a large number of people
who can fix your problem.

I generally think of Linux as being "install-and-forget", as a properly set up
system will require very little adjustment, perhaps clearing the print spool
occasionally, but that's what cron is for!

We have focussed a lot on deploying Linux as a server OS, but what about other
free software, and what about the desktop? Firefox, Gimp, OpenOffice for
example. What is the cost of changing from the MS offerings? Very little in my
experience. Now for the clever bit.

You point out that FF and OO run very nicely on Linux, it has a good E-mail
clients etc. basically all the stuff the MD needs to use at home. Then loan the
MD a laptop for a week or two with Linux installed and set up as he/she likes
it. Do the final setup with them. Make sure that "The Internet", E-mail and a
music player are on the desktop (and the latter works with IPODs and MP3/4
players). I suggest using KDE4, I think Gnome would scare them (not trying to
start a flame war). Now you tell them to do everything on it; Web, work,
everything.

Now you explain that the system they have run for a fortnight is the same
basic system you are suggesting for the servers. Cost saving? One system with
lots of uses. So now you have options. Especially options to save on licensing
for new workstations by mixing and matching... Sorry, phased roll-out. This
will save between £140 (home) and £495 (full professional) per seat from the
bare metal cost. The latter represents another PC!!!

You can also point out that L is already running all over the place, and they
probably don't even realise it. There are plenty of examples on the net.

A summary?

Flexible
Extendable
Simple
MODULAR
Large skilled user base.
High Performance

Hope this helps,

Tim B.
--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
openDynamics - Open-source vessel dynamics