[Hampshire] [Re-pitch] Free ebook for all HLUG members

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire@lists lug org uk
Subject: [Hampshire] [Re-pitch] Free ebook for all HLUG members
Hi List

Some of you may recall that I wrote and self-published an ebook last year. The process has been experimental, however I have finally got round to improving the website, graphics, pricing and most importantly of all the pitch - which I felt did not match the ebook contents well. Now using some adword advertising vouchers my company had been sent. Everyone should write an ebook, however short, it's a great business card:) By doing this I appreciate more why publishing companies take a large slice of authors profits. Writing and proofing the ebook was under half the work.

If anyone would like a free copy in exchange for a short review please email me at: dlb { @ } interlinux { . } co { . } uk

http://walkingwiththeelephants.co.uk

!Here is the new pitch!

"I’m Damian Brasher, the author of this ebook. I’ve worked for over 9 years as a Linux systems administrator – spanning different sectors. I’ve also programmed using open source environments for over 10 years.

It is difficult to describe the collaborative development process and the resulting benefits. It is difficult to describe how open source is often developed. It is hard to talk about a technical subject matter and inspire non-technical people, at the same time. The expense of developing open material, including code, is often perceived as costly.

Open source software users are often unaware of the licence and business models powering great applications and their worlds. The wonderful collaborative nature of open source development offers inspiration and ideas to everyone in this new and exciting age of connectivity. With the wrong steer, high development costs can render targets unreachable.

This ebook is here so I can share with you, my experience of the open source world. Give you ideas, insight and inspiration. Although the ebook uses open source as a key, the message has been arranged to be generic to other small scale collaborations and developments. I talk about my experience whilst using essential social networking tools. I hope to save you money too.

I’ve been busy developing and collaborating to create DIASER – an open source long term archiving and disaster recovery system, during the past six years. I’m a member of Mensa and the BCS The Chartered Institute for IT. I’m also used to working with tight budgets.

70 pages for £4.29. Things that worked and didn’t work are handily tabulated for future reference. Original photographs, taken in Greece, whilst I drafted the ebook, punctuate the text – promoting pause for thought. (High quality PDF, formatted using TeX). Good luck with your endeavours!"

Interlinux Services and Engineering
Zentyal - Exec-lite - DIASER - VAR/MSP
http://www.interlinux.co.uk