Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3
On 13 April 2011 18:42, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:43:31 +0100
> john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
>
> I think it is possible to use the original interface but keep the rest
> of the gnome-3 stuff but I didn't have the will to play around enough
> to find out.

John.

I was just reading this:-
http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead%2C-long-live-gnome-panel%21

Maybe you want to bookmark that for next time you try Gnome 3.

Personally, I like to give new interfaces a try. Normally there is a
good reason why things are made the way they are. It may not fit with
my current methods, but it may also open up a better way of working
for me. A classic case was when I used AutoCAD for work. Every new
release moved lots of commands about, and one of my workmates would
spend hours moving things back to the old way. Later, when he was
watching me use the same software, he kept asking how I was calling
the commands so fast. He soon learnt that people like Autodesk spent a
lot of time optimising the command layout.

At the moment I am just starting using Unity on the latest Ubuntu.
Instinctively I don't like the big clumsy looking icons down the left,
and the search dialog is designed to be read from the other side of
the room! Once I am using my applications, then the icons get out of
the way, and keyboard navigation works fine.

Soon, when things have settled down and a reliable PPA for Gnome 3 is
available for Ubuntu, I will give Gnome Shell a go as well.

Regards,
Philip Stubbs

--
Philip Stubbs