Re: [Hampshire] Wireless repeater / bridge

Author: Mike Austin
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless repeater / bridge
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless repeater / bridge
>>... it's time to build some wireless access points / repeaters! I have a
few laptops kicking about, with wireless cards, so I figured I could dot
these about and build a wireless network that way!<<

Stephen,

Another approach to extend wireless coverage is to use Wireless Access
points. I gave up with Netgear Wireless Extenders and now use Belkin
F5D7132UK Wireless Access Points that also double as Range Extenders.

Using Powerline Network adapters I can place these WAPS wherever I have a
power outlet and set up a Wireless Access point. Unlike Range Extenders, I
can use different SSIDs for each WAP - I have three.

While discussing Powerline Adapters - I use Devolo - you can add a switch to
each adapter to increase the number of wired devices - I have 13. You will
read that the Powerline Adapters cannot be used with power extension leads.
However, all of mine do so but they will not work via a surge protector.

To recap, each of my WAPs connects to a Powerline Adapter via a switch. I
have two 5 port and one 8 port switches. Novatech sell a 5 port switch for
around £11.

One of the WAPs is connected to a 1 watt amplifier and external aerial to
give me coverage accross the marina where I live.

For good measure, I have a Janus High Power 802.11 b/g/n USB Adapter. This
works out of the box with the latest Linux kernel (unlike Windoze) and gives
extended range and signal strength when plugged into my notebook or netbook.

My three storey home has electric heating in all ceilings and the matting
reduces the range between floors.

I hope this is useful to you and other members.

Mike