Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Network Manager and local DNS zone no…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Network Manager and local DNS zone not playing nice?
> This fact may be related as the .local domain is used (reserved?) for
> Avahi and mDNS.
>
> On Fedora, my /etc/nsswitch.conf file has the following:
>
> hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
>
> I expect Ubuntu's is very similar, so if the mdns lookup fails the
> entire host lookup will also fail.  You could probably move
> mdns4_minimal to the end of the line, so your DNS takes precedence:
>
> hosts:      files dns mdns4_minimal
>
> This might affect Avahi though, but if you don't care about it just
> remove or disable the Avahi services entirely.
>
> Or the best solution might be to change your internal domain sooner
> rather than later!  There are a few domains and TLDs reserved for
> internal use:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606#page-2

Thanks very much Dominic, this must be it.

I set-up a .bogus domain which worked as expected, I then scooped out
all the .bogus bits and replaced with .local and it still didn't work.
As you say, .local must be reserved. I thought it must be something
specific to the client.

I have now decided to use one of my .net domains for internal. I had
been advised against making my own up since a ICANN are planning to
create many new gTLDs in the future:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld-program.htm

The next challenge for me is configuring the domain to point to my own
nameservers, which looks a bit fiddly with GoDaddy.

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi
(1869-1948)