[Hampshire] Networking for Dummies

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Networking for Dummies
Hi all

Moving house shortly which means, for the first time, I have to have my
father in law on my network. Now while he's no hacker, he is fond of
fiddling and has managed to crash his (Windows) machine so badly over the
years that nothing short of a full reinstall has fixed it. His fiddling
ranges from downloading patches for stuff he's never thought of using, to
coverdisks with offers of games if you include enough adware that "checks
for updates" every time it starts up. I'm sure you get the picture!

So he's now going to be part of my LAN. Previously, we have had the luxury
of two broadband connections: one cable, one ADSL and I had thought of
putting him on a separate router and let that be that. At the new place
though, while there are two lines, it seems pointless to pay for another
ADSL connection just to keep him isolated.

What I want is to keep him isolated so he can't even see any network
devices, printers - just let him share the connection. I'm thinking:

1) He runs Kapersky so presumably I could tweak this to allow him only
access to IP addresses with outbound traffic outside my LAN's range.

2) Setup some sort of rule on the router - not sure how to do this.

3) IPCop is probably the most detailed solution -but again not sure.

Is there an obvious solution out there. I don't want to buy netnanny or
something like that for him - far too obvious and condescending but I am
really worried. I don't want to software firewall the rest of the family's
machines so tightly that they become restricted.

Cheers

Rob