Re: [Hampshire] Networking for Dummies

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Networking for Dummies

> The untrusted box is behind the ADSL router only, so has exactly the same
> protection as it currently has

And that is the problem.

It is an ineffective solution with several additional problems. It is not
something I could recommend.

> As for the hassle of reconfiguring on the current network, I was assuming
> that the network re-jig would require that anyway.

No. Adding a second network really only means installing one card, and you
can pick them up for next to nothing. You then run one cable to either the
untrusted box, or to a switch/bridge/router of your choice.

The only "clever" bit is remembering to use a crossover cable if you're
doing direct PC-to-PC connections without auto-MDIX.

> Well there are technically better solutions, but it will work.

Actually, I don't consider that to be working. Your solution provides
Internet traffic to the untrusted box, but doesn't do much besides.

Vic.