[Hampshire] Home network cabling

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Home network cabling
Hi all

Keeping this as short as possible - if I want to have an ethernet socket in
2 rooms other than the room which contains the router, do I have to run 2
cables (one from study to room A and another from study to room B) or can I
run one cable (from study to room A then on from room A to room B)?

If running the cables internally I'd be running two cables each connected to
the hub - but the more cables I run outside the bigger the hole I have to
drill or the more holes I have to drill risking it look unsightly.

I've had all sorts of different stories from local aerial installers who are
happy to drill the holes but not sure of the wiring! Last question: one
bloke told me I can't run the cables outside without fitting some sort of
lightning rod at each end costing hundreds of quid - surely this is wrong?
At least - ntl engineer who did exactly this at my old house didn't mention
it when he did precisely the same job!

Cheers

Rob