Re: [Hampshire] confused ssh newbie

Author: Peter Andrijeczko
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] confused ssh newbie
Vic

Agreed, and the bot-driven brute force attempts are harmless enough if
you're not using password authentication.

But I take a "run silent run deep" attitude in that I want to reveal as
little information as possible about what I'm running on my home network
because I never know if some human isn't going to look through those bot
logs and try to manually break into my systems - the less information that
human has about my network, the more difficult a task he/she has of getting
in.

There's other things you can do that help - I can't remember the application
names because I don't use them but there are daemon applications that
monitor for brute force attempts and if, say, more than 10 come from a
particular IP address within the space of a minute, it can block that IP
address temporarily or permanently by using TCP Wrappers or an iptables
firewall rule.

There's even a port knocking application that will wait to see incoming
requests on two or more pre-agreed ports and if the knocks on those ports
are in the correct order, it will open up the SSH server for you to access.

--Peter