Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network Query

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network Query
On 11/07/2011 21:36, Leo wrote:
> On my network when I copy data from one computer to another slowly, it seems to slow down other connections, anyone know why this might be? The details are:
> Computer A is connected to switch 1
> Computer B is connected to switch 1 via a powerline connection.
> switch 1 is connected to switch 2
> Device C is connected to switch 2
>
> Everything is 100Mb/s apart from the powerline. The problem is that when I copy from A to B (at about 1.7 MB/s over the powerline) the connection from A to C slows to a crawl. This doesn't make sense
> to me as I thought the ethernet should be able to run at about 8 MB/s. Can anyone shed any light on this?

"Smells" like sw1 is the problem. replace it with a larger device?
And more expensive does not mean better :-)

data in at 100 data out at 10 and if the switch ends up buffering....
Some switches will downgrade all 100 ports to 10 if all else fails which owuld explain your symptoms.

Another problem is lots of small packets such as some smb transfers.
I had this problem some time ago and replaced a network card that kept dropping to 10 from 100
with an *identical* "white box" card - problem dissapeared.

Jacqui