Re: [Hampshire] error competition

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] error competition

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x583a4100.hantslug.org.uk.18592': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Aug 19 19:12:49 2011 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Daniel,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 01:01:17PM +0100, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
> how about this one that I have actually performed myself:
>
> rm -rf .*
>
> the scenario was I wanted to delete all folders in a subtree including
> folders beginning with a dot (.) to hide them from a normal ls
> listing. instead it deleted everything in the subtree .. AND
> everything in the supertree (../ then ../../ then ../../../ all the
> way up to / and then following back down again into every subdirectory
> of /)

Are you sure? Was this not Linux? "rm" on Linux doesn't recurse
through ..:

$ cd /tmp/
$ mkdir -vp foo/bar/baz
mkdir: created directory `foo'
mkdir: created directory `foo/bar'
mkdir: created directory `foo/bar/baz'
$ cd foo/bar/baz
$ rm -rv .*
rm: cannot remove directory `.'
rm: cannot remove directory `..'

Also on the topic of disasters, if anyone has not seen this gem it's
worth a read:

http://lug.wsu.edu/node/414

of course these days you would expect a quicker disaster recovery
without needing to sacrifice a goat with a black candle like this..

Cheers,
Andy

<Eyecon> freecycle is for dating single mothers