Re: [Hampshire] DDoS survival strategies

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DDoS survival strategies

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57fa3100.hantslug.org.uk.14431': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Sep 5 17:51:47 2011 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Benjie,

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 05:24:51PM +0100, Benjie Gillam wrote:
> One thing to mention with IPv6 is that the namespace is /FAR/ larger than IPv4 (10^29 times as big, roughly), so internet wide scans will no longer be feasible based solely on incrementing IP addresses (they could filter it down by only the assigned IP addresses though, but that's still a pretty large namespace). [At 1 American trillion (10^12) addresses per second it would take ~10^19 years to scan the entire namespace, vs just 72 minutes for IPv4.]

You still have to publish addresses of hosts in the DNS and places
like that. I don't believe scanning will die out with IPv6, it will
just need to be more focused.

Cheers,
Andy

"It is I, Simon Quinlank. The chief conductor on the bus that is called
hobby." -- Simon Quinlank