Re: [Hampshire] Slightly OT - "Firewall Server"

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slightly OT - "Firewall Server"
On 07/09/2011 18:30, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A simple question: What is a firewall server? I've not heard of this term before.
>
> Is it:
>
> a) A pretty low spec server that's not got much processing power beyond that required to run ipcop or something similar?

Could be - we use guruplugs at work as well as a large rackable server box with 8/16 or so ports.

> b) Something else

I use an AMD64x2 system at home but planned to put something "lighter" in front and use wake on lan but hit WOL problems so just suffer the leccy bill instead.

> I anticipate it will have more than one NIC but if I was looking for a really low spec server (or a few of them of identical physical dimensions) as I am at the moment, what's to stop me buying [1]?

$Boss uses guruplugs and thier successors for DSL connectivity but for my home (50Mb cable) link, they are too low powered - for my needs.

Jacqui